6 ‘Little Things’ You Ignore But Can Change Your Life
It is somewhat funny how if we accomplish the little things, everything else in life seems to run smoother. We feel better about ourselves, we have more stability in our relationships, our homes are more pleasant to be in, we are healthier, and we are under less stress generally.
The habits listed below aren’t so much of a big deal. They simply should be part of your everyday routine. So here are some good, quick habits that you can do each day to make your life easier and more enjoyable.
1. Make Your Bed: There is something demoralising about returning home from a long day of work and looking at an unmade bed. Let’s face it. An unmade bed is depressing. It makes your bedroom look like a brothel, but not in a sexy way, just in a dirty, sad way. When you walk into your bedroom and the bed is made, you’ll feel like you at least have the basics of life under control.
2. Don’t Leave Dirty Dishes in the Sink: Having a kitchen filled with dirty dishes isn’t just about being messy. It’s no secret that filthy dishes are a magnet for bugs (fruit flies, roaches, etc.).
Also Read: 8 Essential Skills For Success In The Workplace
3. Make Sure Your Transportation Is Always Ready: We all have to get to places on time and safely. So it is important that whatever you use for transportation is ready. That means making sure your car is in good state… and your fuel tank is always above half full. That also means that if you are relying on a cab, you call for one well ahead of time.
4. Leave Early: A good rule of thumb is that it typically will take you longer to get somewhere than you anticipate. So always leave 20 minutes earlier than necessary. That way you don’t necessarily have to turn yourself to a Formula One driver just because you’re driving against time.
Also read: 6 Ways To Avoid Traffic On Lekki – Ajah Axis
5. Always Say “Thank You”: We are becoming a society that is reluctant to use manners. It seems too formal, when we just want to be casual. The problem is that gratitude is necessary to inspire others to want to interact with you. You may think that people like you, but if you never thank them for what they do for you, here’s a news flash: They are just tolerating you. Moreover, if you don’t say “thank you,” no one is going to want to help you when you are in a real bind, e.g. stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and no spare.
6. Compliment Others: Just as we are reluctant to say “thank you,” we seem to be turning into a society that is averse to paying a compliment. Encouraging others is an important skill. And it isn’t time consuming. Paying a compliment merely involves the decision to vocalise all those thoughts we have during the day that we don’t say out loud. How often do you notice someone’s haircut or blouse but don’t tell them it looks great? How often do you think, “Wow, they did a great job on that project,” but forget to mention it to them? When we authentically compliment others, our relationships improve, and we feel better about ourselves by having acted kindly..
Having good habits is the difference between your life being an easy, smooth-sailing adventure, and it being a train wreck. That’s because good habits allow us to keep the little things under control so that we can effectively handle the big things. With good habits, we are able to navigate life’s obstacles with ease. And they make life generally more pleasant.